jueves, 29 de noviembre de 2012

Going from A to B in KDE, GNOME, and Windows

As a Linux user, I've learned to appreciate the differences of doing things using the different desktops available.

I started thinking of how one can see going from point A to point B in KDE and GNOME and I could not help to find some amusement in this metaphor.

Ready for the ride?  "How do I go to B?  Let me count the ways:"

KDE: 
Wanna go to B?  Take this path...or maybe the one less traveled by.

The KDE way(s)
KDE is famous for having multiple paths for traveling.  Do you want to turn off the computer?  Well, you can use the menu, or you can right clic and select LEAVE, or use the widgets that are normally placed next to the clock on the bottom panel.  Hey, even the cashew gives you an option to turn your computer off!  KDE developers want to keep choices for users.  I personally like that approach because, despite what some people say, it does not reduce my productivity.  Actually, it keeps my brain sharp.

However, I must admit that, when you first travel the KDE path, it can look remarkably like this:


GNOME: 
Wonderland?  Simply go down the rabbit hole, Alice.
Simplicity is Gnome's motto.  To travel from A to B in Gnome is like taking a pleasant walk inside a cool, futuristic tunnel: only one path, shielded from outer interference, conveniently signaled and illuminated for you.  You cannot get lost!

There is a downside to it, though.  In fact, some experienced users find Gnome's approach over-restrictive, almost claustrophobic.
Follow the path.. You cannot miss B!

I am not writing this as a complaint, for I am sure both approaches appeal and satisfy different users.

How could I complain about choice?

Wait, I do have a complaint!

I used it for over 13 years, but I still resent the Windows way!

Windows: 
Thou shalt not go to B (unless you disobey the rules) 
Windows would tell me that going from A to B was either impossible or forbidden.  Want your computer to wake you up to a song?  To have a wallpaper?  Or more recently, to have a menu?  No way!!

But you could always circumvent the prohibition with third party, often cracked software.  Then, why blocking the road in the first place?
Microsoft, you might not want it, but users want to go to B!


1 comentario:

  1. True. Do you remember all the years we actually believed that things could not be done? What a waste of time! The worst part is that the approach of MS reduces creativity and takes the fun off computers.

    ResponderEliminar

And the Magic is Ready!

Two weeks ago, DistroWatch reported that Mageia 9 had been released. Back then, I was swamped with work and, even when the Mageia notifier ...